Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns about the seal on Spicely Organics’ Jars and/or Club Sizes.
This is a common occurrence in our Jars and Club Size packaging, and any product that uses the pressure seal process, as it is normal when twisting off the cap that the seal may come off, come loose, and/or tear - so long as none of the contents spilled out, the product is safe to consume.
The purpose of packaging spices is mostly to make handling easier for both consumers and retailers. As you know, among others, there are a few well-known methods to apply liners on bottles and jars in the food industry:
- Pressure sensitive liner (which you may notice a white liner under the cap.
- Heat seal (passing the products through a heat tunnel to apply the liner)
- No Seal—Using a seal is only a best practice, but not legally required, on food products.
We chose pressure sensitive liners for the following reasons, in spite of it not being able to create a 100% tight closure:
- Pressure sensitive liners are the most environmentally friendly of the three options. They require less use of energy to make.
- Unlike pressure sensitive liners, heat or radiation may change the property of the spices and incur additional production costs—as a result, increases to customers’ price.
- Organics are limited to exposure. We cannot irradiate according to USDA NOP regulations.
Please note that we are aggressively researching to get help from industry professionals for a new, safe, environmentally friendly solution to apply the closure.
If you do feel that your product is truly defective, please reach out to our Customer Service Team with the following information:
- Where did you buy the item from? If you ordered online from Spicely, please give us the order number and which site you purchased it from.
- The item in question
- The item's Lot #
- The item's best by date
- A picture of the issue